Sunday, February 1, 2009

More babbling (me or the baby?)

The words are starting to come.
English:
cow
hossey (horse)
ti boo (for cats or all small animals)
moo (cow sound)
maa (cat sound)
woo-woo (dog sound)
qua-qua (duck sound)
shoe
juice
wawa (water)
nose
mouth
eye
choo-choo (for trains and big trucks)
bye
cookie
appie (apple)
mama
baba (banana)
ba (bag)
baou (ball)
baby
poon (spoon)
keys
coat
petze (pretzel)
ca (car)
ha (hat)
popi (people, or "Little People" the Fisher Price toy collection)

French:
auto
voiture (or Arthur?)
chaud
chat
au revoir
mami
papi

German:
tschuess
hallo

And lots of strings of unrecognizable words comprehensible only as questions, statements or commands.

Interesting, the French is 1/3-1/4 of the English and the German is 1/3-1/4 of the French.

I also find it interesting that she doesn't seem to have a fixed expression for "milk" (or "lait") since that's a pretty important and constant element in her life. I wonder if there's confusion between the languages...

Sometimes I really feel for my daughter. She hears me give names to objects, she repeats them like a good 19-month-old, then her dad gives the same things new names, and I swear I hear her thinking "What the hell?" (or the 19-month-old equivalent). Generally she doesn't repeat what he says, and sometimes she repeats the English.

But I have faith. She's getting there.

No comments: